Feel free to comment on posts- I'll be happy to answer any questions

Wednesday 8 April 2015

My First Counselling Session


I started going to counselling sessions this term (so far, I've only been to one) because I am super insane and a risk to the general public (parodying mental illness stigmas for the win?). It was actually due to my crippling anxiety and the depression I faced last term that resulted in me eating nothing for like a week, but I digress...

I have always been quite open about my anxiety so it was easy for me to talk to the counsellor about stuff. My year of experience studying psychology at university didn't really help though, as the counsellor kept saying "How do you feel about that?" and I kept wanting to laugh at how clichéd it was. There was a box of tissues placed ominously close to my chair, which was a slouchy, beige number to match the beige room, that you either had to sit really far forward and upright in, or you would end up pretty much lying down in it.

As much as I mock, my counsellor was lovely; super understanding, easy to talk to, sensed I had a terrible sense of direction and showed me the way into the building for next time, the whole experience was great. I am now looking forward to my next counselling session more than my next lecture. Which is maybe bad. 

The session made me look at myself from a different perspective and it was quite strange to have someone sympathise with me. I usually hate to be the centre of attention and reject compliments immediately, but having someone sit there will the sole purpose of helping me to build myself back up was oddly reassuring. Yes, there were some things I found awkward, like being told I was obviously intelligent many times (how do people react to compliments?! I sit and laugh awkwardly, this is obviously not correct).

I thought I'd feel self-conscious and analysed, but really, it was nice to vent. I used to think counselling was absolutely not for me; I thought it'd trigger panic attacks and be pointless as I am so open anyway, but actually, it made me realise I don't think about myself enough. It's a nice way to, not be selfish per se, but to finally start taking care of my mental wellbeing, the same way people take care of their physical wellbeing by going on a diet or getting their nails done.

It's important to note that a counsellor's job isn't particularly to tell you all the answers to your problems, but to (as cheesy as it sounds) help you help yourself. A worrying number of students suffer silently from mental health problems, not knowing how to help themselves. If you attend a university as awesome as mine, you have easy, free access to people who can help you, as long as you summon up the courage to contact them. If not, you can talk to your GP about looking for a counsellor, although in this circumstance, be prepared to shell out some cash as you are more than likely going to have to pay for one. There are also people available online and through telephone who you can talk to, who you can find if you browse the web enough.

For students at UoB, everyone you need to contact can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment