Feel free to comment on posts- I'll be happy to answer any questions

Monday 13 February 2017

Dungeons and Drag Queens

Because I couldn't possibly get any nerdier, I have started playing Dungeons and Dragons, and y'know what? It's actually pretty fun.


If, like me, you are a creative person lacking an outlet for their creativity, Dungeons and Dragons just might be perfect for you. The only set backs are that you need a group of people who are willing to play each session, and you need to be organised. Making a character can be time consuming (especially if the DM* convinces you to be a sorcerer or warlock) but the more time you invest in your character, the more you can understand how to play them.
*DM-Dungeon Master: Not a player in the game, but someone who orchestrates the plot and acts as enemies/NPCs when the time comes.

For those who have no idea whatsoever as to what DnD is, it is a role playing, dice game where a group of characters are often adventuring on a quest (manipulated by the DM), fighting enemies and levelling up. It is not a computer game and does not involve any movement off of the sofa at all (unless you have so much gusto in your character that you feel it is necessary). Much of the action takes place in your imagination, fuelled by descriptions given by the DM or playing characters. Often the characters are fictional beings, i.e. Elves, Orcs, and Trolls etc. 

In researching your own character, you learn the characteristics of said character, and how they would react to others. For example, my current character is a Tiefling (a sort of demonic, humanoid being) who, because of their dark background, is met with suspicion from others, and so regards others as suspicious in turn. Therefore, when I play a game as that character, this will affect how I interact with other players and get the benefits and drawbacks of this character trait, i.e. I may not be able to trade as easily as others.

Aside from the work put into a character, DnD is a nice source of escapism into a fictional world where aims and quests are usually clear. Rather than just reading a fantasy novel, DnD puts you into the game, so you can act out your character's destiny and influence others around you. When your character defeats a boss, you are filled with elation, and join in the victory cries of your friends around you. When your character dies, you really feel loss, as all the work you put into your character is wiped out completely. If you want to rejoin the game, you have to create a completey new character, unless your teammates/DM revive you somehow.

The first time I played, I died, so I hadn't particularly had time to bond with my character. However, it definitely did not put me off, and I have played a couple of times since with a new character, and am gradually finding my feet. Some may choose to dress up as their character, and put on voices, but my group aren't quite there yet. Maybe after a few drinks...


No comments:

Post a Comment