Feel free to comment on posts- I'll be happy to answer any questions

Friday 6 February 2015

Let Me Take a Selfie

We live in a world where people live more for documenting things than living in the moment. You can't go to a concert and have a clear view to the stage nowadays because people are holding their phones in the air recording it. I don't see why; their footage is always muffled, with the only clear sound being their terrible singing along, and they can't be fully immersed in what is happening in front of them because they are wary of how it may appear on film.

In some ways, this culture can have its benefits. Many of the photographs we see in news articles are captured by someone in the moment who wanted to document their experience. Is it right, however, for people's first reaction in an emergency to be reaching for their phones to take a picture? This could not only be seen as insensitive, but could also put the person taking the photograph in danger.

 

If I can't enjoy a night out with friends without being attacked to join "selfies" (worst word in human existance), I'd rather just stay in. Being forced to stand awkwardly while twelve different pictures are taken is not my idea of fun. You can never get away with just one photograph too: "I look fat, can we take it again", "I wasn't ready", "Now one with a silly face". Can't we just sit and talk about what's happening in our lives? Also, I get disconcerted when people take selfies right in front of my face, because I get scared they are taking a picture of me.

It's all about perpetuating the image of ourselves on social media; we always look happy, we're always out, look who we're out with now! People external to the situation will look at the photographs and feel a sense of jealousy that they're missing out on the fun that we seem to be portraying. However, the truth is the complete opposite. You can usually judge that someone has had a terrible night out from the sheer amount of photographs taken.

Sometimes, of course, taking photographs to remember a certain time has great semtimental value. Holidays, weddings, particularly momentous occasions should warrant documentation, I'll admit. My issue is when photographs are taken because "I look good today", basically used to brag about your wonderful life to people you barely know. I like the idea of lockets. A single photograph, of sentimental value and only seen by the wearer.


No comments:

Post a Comment